The Face Mask

The face mask was always going to be bronze. My initial feeling was to put a skull in the 'porthole' of the sarcophagus, but this is too obvious, macarbre and it can alienate some viewers. So the next best solution was to have a plain polished 'dome' for a face.

To make the dome, I used the original MDF former and pushed it on to an inflated latex glove, this formed the perfect domed oval. This former was then covered in plaster and once set, formed the mould for my wax version. The wax was then used to make a sand mould (quicker than the normal 'lost wax' investment process).


Below: This is the raw bronze straight out of the CO2 sand mould. Technically this is a rubbish cast, what with the holes and all; This is because I was asking too much of the metal, and I should have had more air vents (school boy error, less haste next time). Having said all of that without these imperfections I would not have realised how beautiful they are, and the fact that they mirror the seam in the cast iron, I couldn't of asked for a happier mistake.



I have placed the bronze face within the porthole to see what it looks like, it's not bolted in at this point but and the porthole is very shiny but this will all be addressed at a later date.